THE STORY OF OLUWASEYI GBADEBO: ONE OF NIGERIA’S BEST VISUAL ARTISTS AND ENTREPRENEUR IN THE MAKING. Femi Ojo







Oluwaseyi Gbadebo is one of Nigeria’s finest Visual Artists. He is one young Nigerian fine artist whose art pieces are gradually gaining ground in Nigeria and beyond. The 26 years old artist is gradually building his artistic enterprise and mentoring younger visual artists in Nigeria. He recently spoke with femispremise.blogspot.com on his strong commitment to artistic enterprise and how he left Accounting course in the university for Fine and Applied Art in the same tertiary institution of learning. Enjoy our conversation below.

Can you please tell me about yourself?
I am Oluwaseyi Gbadebo, I was born in Lagos, Nigeria on August 21, 1989.  I am a Visual Artist, an Art Educator and an Entrepreneur.  I am the founder/director of House of Bezalel, an artistic enterprise committed to the production of lofty art and raising an army of Kingdom artists. I have a B.Tech in Fine and Applied Art from Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH) Ogbomoso, Oyo State, Nigeria.  I have exhibited and participated  in various art shows in Nigeria, some of which include; Genesis, Lagos (2005), Igue Art Festival, Benin (2013), Arrows in the Art, Benin (2014), Mandela; through the eyes of Nigerian Artists, Lagos (2014), Life in My City Art Competition, Ibadan (2015) and most recently, Synonyms, Lagos (2015). My works are collected by Galleries and private art collectors within and outside Nigeria. I currently live and work in Ogbomoso, Oyo State.


How and when did you get into fine Art?
 I had always been an art lover from my childhood, but I didn’t consider a future in art. I was a science student in my secondary school days. But right after my secondary school, my passion for art grew radically and at that moment it became clear to me that I was born to be an artist. However, because of my background in science, I feared studying art in the university would not be possible for me.  In 2006, I got an admission into the university (Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso, Oyo state) to study Accounting Technology. One day, I was walking around the university premises and I came across its art department and made enquiries about the discipline c and to my surprise, I was told I could come over with my science O’ level results.  And in my 200 level, I made a decision to cross to the Arts department to study Fine and Applied Art and ever since then I do not regret in any way my decision to switch over to the discipline I love so much. 



Do you have a specialized area(s) in fine arts?
I specialize in Painting. I work in oils and acrylic media mostly, but I also work in watercolor and mixed media.


What inspires your creativities?
I am inspired by people (great and small, young and old), their temperament, their stories and the facial expressions they exhibit. I am highly inspired by those who have awaken to their life’s purpose and assignment. I love people and I believe everyone is unique and special.


Where can one find your pieces?
I am currently represented by Quintessence Gallery, Ikoyi. My works can be seen there and on my website www.oluwaseyigbadebo.deviantart.com and oluwaseyigbadebo.com


What challenges do you face in this line of business? 
Sales and promotion is the major challenge for young artist like me. We need the government to invest more in the arts and enlighten the public of the benefits of art.  We also need more art collectors, private organizations and art lovers to patronize the works of upcoming artists like me. 


How affordable are your art works?
The price of my works depends on the size, content and the request of my clients (in cases of commissioned jobs). But I tell you, my pieces are very pocket friendly and you cannot beat the quality! 


Any last words?
I believe that as an artist, we determine the culture of society. Our gift/talent is to glorify God and edify men. When artist embrace that noble task, we will have a society that flourish and blossom. And I believe there’s room for every artist to thrive if they remain true to themselves and their art.


For more information, contact Oluwaseyi on:
Mobile/Whatsapp: +234 8133 353 888 
BBM PIN: 271F6D8C                                
Email: oluwaseyi.gbadebo@yahoo.com
     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YGRL CALLS FOR 2018 NIGERIA WOMEN ACHIEVERS NOMINATION. Femi Ojo

THE DEMISE OF A GOOD MAN….TRIBUTE TO DR. OLUYOMBO AWOJOBI. Femi Ojo

RISING BEYOND OBSCURITY…THE STORY OF A YOUNG NIGERIAN PROFESSOR IN DURBAN, SOUTH AFRICA Femi Ojo